Sunday 31 January 2016

AND JUST A LITTLE BIT MORE FROM THE PAGES OF 'REACH FOR MARS':

I knew that it would be at least ten minutes before Nick would be knocking on the hatch, as it would take him that long to climb into his space suit, go through the airlock routine and stomp his way down the cargo ramp and across the intervening distance to the shipwreck. I closed the inner airlock door and opened the external hatch door when the chamber had been emptied of oxygen in preparation for Nick’s impending arrival. Then I decided to investigate the flight deck more thoroughly while I awaited his arrival. It did not take very long to thoroughly investigate the cabin, for although it was a fairly large area, there wasn’t very much in it to thoroughly investigate.

Behind the high-backed pilot seats was a circular coffee table surrounded by a pair of semicircular couches. Attached to the semicircular bulkhead behind them was a high rectangular bar-style bench with two swivel seats on each side, all firmly bolted to the deck. Partway down the starboard corridor were two bunks recessed into the inner bulkhead, and by leaning forward to check them I found to my great relief that neither of them were occupied. I could venture no farther than that down the starboard corridor due to the hull damage from the crash, but when I retraced my steps down the portside corridor I found a door in the inner bulkhead just beyond a pair of bunks on that side that I had obviously missed before. I found the button to open it and walked cautiously into a large semicircular bathroom. On the other side of the bathroom opposite me was a door that obviously accessed the starboard corridor. Midway between and facing sternward was another door, which I approached and opened to find that it directly accessed the engine room. I retraced my steps to the flight deck and found that Nick had not arrived aboard yet, so I continued forward and lowered myself into one of the pilot seats to wait for him to arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment