Saturday 23 January 2016

Another bit from the pages of 'Reach for Mars.'

As I passed the suspected hatch I had discovered earlier, I noticed that there was a glowing circle about five inches in diameter in the hull close to the left side of the hatch. I made a mental note to have a closer look at that later as I continued on to the bow of the spacecraft. When I reached the flight deck windows, I looked through them into the ship. It damn near took my breath away—well, actually it made me breathe faster and heavier than normal, almost overcoming the mechanical efficiency of, and therefore jamming my oxygen supply valve (not really, I'm exaggerating a little bit).
But after all, I was looking into the interior of a crashed alien spaceship on Mars, something which I would never have imagined I might find myself doing…right up until the time that I now found myself doing it.

I judged that the cabin I was looking into would have filled about a third of the ship and appeared to be a combination flight deck/ living quarters for the crew. I saw no living creatures moving around in there, nor did I see any bodies, which was the part that surprised me the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment