Wednesday 27 January 2016

QUITE A BIT MORE FROM THE PAGES OF: 'REACH FOR MARS.'

I tried to look in all directions at once, but as my helmet was fixed firmly to my suit, I found myself spinning like a top on one leg while supplying circular drive power with my other leg. After completing the tenth spin I had realized three things: First, there were no visible threats in my immediate surroundings; second, I would’ve looked incredibly silly to any observers (if there had been any); and third, I felt quite dizzy.
I walked forward into the flight deck area and did a quick scan (this time without any spinning). Then I walked down the corridor toward the stern of the ship to see what I could find back there. I had passed the airlock compartment and continued down the passage for about twenty-five meters when I encountered a wall barring my passage down the corridor. I searched the wall and found two buttons mounted vertically in the wall to my left. I reached forward and pressed the top one, and a hatch slid open. I warily looked inside to find what looked like another airlock compartment, but the door on the other side was open, allowing me to see into the room beyond. I cautiously slipped through the airlock chamber and entered the room before pausing to look around.

I found myself standing in a large room similar in size and shape to the flight deck/living quarters cabin. Most of the wall area was fitted with banks of built-in drawers interspersed with a few computer keyboards and monitor stations as well. Parked in roughly the center of the room were what I tentatively assumed to be transportation devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment