Friday 15 January 2016

Yet still more from the pages of 'Reach for Mars.'

I awoke very early the following morning and really needed to go to the head. I didn’t bother to turn on any lights as I navigated down the corridor; after more than six months of pretty regular repetition, I subconsciously knew the route exactly, even in the pitch black darkness of night. Thanks to the glow of the nightlight in the toilet, I could see what I was doing in there without the need to switch on the overheads, so my night vision was still reasonably acute when I was returning to my cabin, and therefore I easily saw the glow of light coming from the cafeteria at the forward end of the corridor.
Mindful of my attire (I wasn’t wearing anything), I padded as quietly as possible down the corridor and poked only my head through the door as I looked around. There was more than enough light for me to see that the cafeteria was fortunately empty of crew and also that the light was not coming from inside the cafeteria but through the windows…from outside the ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment