Monday 15 February 2016

A PAGE FROM THE PAGES OF 'REACH FOR MARS' :

“I heard Albatross blast off earlier, and I notice she isn’t parked in the hangar, so I assume that as you are sitting here Nick must have taken her up to collect Courtney and Dick and taxi them back from the shipwreck.”
“On the face of it, your assumption would appear to be correct,” I replied.
“You looked deep in thought when I wandered in; are you having trouble with your two times tables again?” she asked sweetly.
So I told her about the Terminal Café vs. Spaceport Café issue and the contributing factors that had affected my final decision. She stared at me with her emerald green eyes wide with what I assumed to be admiration for a while. Then she exclaimed,
“Oh, thank the Lord!”, with what I assumed to be deep reverence and awe. “Finally I will be able to sleep and rest peacefully now that you have finally rectified that problem. It really was keeping me awake and tossing and turning into the wee small hours of the morning.”
“You’re being sarcastic, aren’t you?”
“No, absolutely not!” she said with a chuckle. “Can we go home now? I am totally exhausted.”
“Absolutely, for tonight you’ll be able to lay your pretty head down to sleep and rest peacefully in the knowledge that an important and weighty issue has finally been resolved thanks to yours truly.”
“Yes, dear.”
“But there’s really no need to thank me.”
“I totally agree.” Mel sweetly replied.


When we arrived at the Spaceport Café early the next morning to have breakfast and coffee before starting work, I was a little concerned when I noticed that the Albatross had not returned during the night. After finishing our breakfasts and coffees, we went our separate ways—Mel to the laboratories to play with her collection of rocks and dirt there, and I to the terrarium to play with the dirt there. While I was playing in the dirt, I found myself becoming more concerned about the delay in Albatross’s return to the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment