Thursday 25 February 2016

FROM THE PAGES OF 'REACH FOR MARS.'

“Come on, Drew; look around you. With the intelligence and technology those Martians used to design and build this city, do you think they would leave anything to chance? I’ll bet those ships of theirs are fully fueled and ready to fly; they only left them behind because they didn’t need them. Who knows how many thousands of years ago they left this city, and yet Dick was able to fire up the power, air cycling systems, and everything, and it all works perfectly. I haven’t even seen one blown light globe in the two and a half months I’ve been here. Besides, we are crack fighter pilots. If they can fly, we can make them fly.”
“I agree with Nicholas,” Richard said. “If those ships work on the same systems as their main computers, I don’t think it’s going to be a problem firing one up and at least taking it for a test drive before making a decision. Also, as Nicholas says, judging by the technology that went into building this city, it would be reasonable to assume that their ships are far and away more powerful, faster, and easier to maneuver than the Albatross. Ergo, it could cut travel time in half, and thusly, our time in space.”
“Ergo? Thusly? You really are a computer geek,” I said. I smiled, stood up, and jerked my head toward the windows,

“All right then, I have been dying to explore one of these starships ever since I first laid eyes on them anyway, so let’s go kick the tires on that one!”

No comments:

Post a Comment