Thursday 24 March 2016

SOME MORE FROM THE PAGES OF 'REACH FOR MARS' :

. I told the ship to open the intercom channel and told the crew that we were ready to fly. As they entered the bridge, I commanded the ship to start its engines, which it did immediately.
I gave the command to rise one meter, retract and lock the landing gear, and proceed down the taxiway and out the hangar doors. As we passed under the staging room windows, I snapped to attention and saluted Nick. He returned my salute and, after first checking to make sure that Sammy wasn’t watching, flipped me the bird. Without checking to see if Mel was watching, I returned the gesture just before we passed out of his visual, and I received an elbow jab to the ribs from Melissa for my mistake. I suspected Nick found it very amusing. We passed through the hangar doors into Mars’s atmosphere, and I commanded the ship to rise to 220 meters and hover. I warned the crew to prepare themselves for launch, and they reacted immediately by doing absolutely nothing. I then gave the silent command: “Launch!”

We leaped off the planet and into space. I checked the rear view monitors and saw Mars shrinking in our wake as we blasted away from it. Then I looked out the bridge windows. It hadn’t been an illusion when we flew this ship around Mars yesterday. The stars were blurred due to our speed. Where have you been all my life? I thought to the ship. She was a truly remarkable machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment