Saturday 2 April 2016

HERE'S ANOTHER BIT FROM 'REACH FOR MARS' :

however, history now. We must bear in mind that Mars is our home planet now and the Earth that we once knew has passed into the not-so-distant past. We once lived there, but we no longer do,” I said.
“I guess that’s true, but it is still going to be an extremely upsetting and harrowing ordeal.”
“Of course it will be, but we’ll get through it and then head for home. Our home: Mars. We’re building a new life there—a new future. Not only for ourselves, but for our children and our children’s children…”
“All right, cut the rhetorical codswallop…I get the idea!”
“Sorry, I was getting a bit carried away there. But the basic fact is that we live on a new planet now and our future lies there. We are just picking up a few passengers and taking them home, is what I meant.”
“I know, and you’re right. We are just there to pick up passengers and return home, and as quickly as possible.”
“You put it far more succinctly and eloquently than I did, as usual. But that is what I meant.”
“Then let’s get it done and get the hell out of there.”
“We will, my sweet, as soon as we get there!”
“I think I might fill in a few of those hours by snoring for as long as I can.”
I looked at all the monitors and the forward radar and found nothing to worry about as far as I could tell, so I said,
“I think I can join you for a while, honey.”
She took my hand.
“Well, come on then.”
I know! Romantic as hell.



No comments:

Post a Comment