Wednesday 13 April 2016

JUST A LITTLE BIT MORE FROM THE PAGES OF 'REACH FOR MARS' :

As we flew onward, we adapted to shipboard life once again (sorry, Nick—spaceshipboard life once again). It was a totally different ship, of course, but onboard life was basically the same. Mel and I spent a lot of our time studying the textbooks about animal husbandry and gardening that we had brought with us for the journey, relearning the stuff we needed to know for when we got back. When we weren’t doing that, we worked out in the gym to keep ourselves in condition. I regularly visited the bridge, but unlike on the Albatross, I didn’t tarry there for terribly long when I did, as it wasn’t really required.
I was sure that the ship knew where it was going better than I did, so I just checked the monitors for flight status and systems conditions. This was made extremely difficult by the fact that I didn’t understand the Martian language. I did, however, figure out that if all the readouts on the monitors were showing in green and nothing on the monitors was flashing in red, we were in good shape.

We did not see much of Dick or Courtney in the weeks that followed; they apparently found a computer or two to play with. This was hardly surprising on a ship this large, as there were computers that monitored all the flight systems spread throughout the ship, all of which I was sure could access the libraries of all Martian knowledge and history. I doubt that the fact that neither of them could speak Martian would have deterred them at all. They were, after all, fluent in computer geek speak, which I’m sure eventually overcomes and breaks down all language barriers relating to computers. Anyway, they were otherwise happily engaged, so as I said, we didn’t see much of them, which made us happy. Thus our happy band of astronauts blazed through space toward our home planet Earth, or at least near it.

No comments:

Post a Comment