Tuesday 5 July 2016

A COUPLE MORE OF THE LAST PAGES FROM 'REACH FOR MARS' TO BE SHOWN ON THIS BLOG :-

“Would it be all right if we postponed the rest of the tour until tomorrow? It has been a long and exciting day, and we would like to unpack and settle down for the evening.”
“Yes, of course. Would you like me to show you how to make the furniture appear?”
“No, the main bed has appeared, and that is likely all that we will require. I can work out the rest as necessary, and I will heed your warning about staying near the doorways when pushing the panels until I know what will pop out and where, believe me,” he said with a grin.
“OK then. I will bid you adieu until the morrow then. Sleep tight and don’t let the bedbugs bite.”
He gave me a strange look.
“Very well. See you tomorrow morning and thanks for everything, Drew,” he responded.
Mel and I jumped into the buggy and headed for home. We were looking forward to being in our own place once again. When we arrived, I pushed the panel in the lounge area and waited for the furniture to sort itself out before walking into the room. I made drinks for both of us and then we sat down with a shared sigh.
“Cheers!” we said as one and sipped our drinks.
“You get a nice view from level six. Would you like to move up in the world?” I asked.
“No, I would not. I like our home, and I really don’t want to move. The views from here are fantastic enough, and I think I would suffer from vertigo up there. Thanks all the same though.”
“Fair enough. It was just a thought. How did Yelena seem to you just before we left?”
“She seemed to be quite exhausted. It’s been a big day for them, and I really think they were very tired. It is tiring landing on a new planet, meeting other people for the first time, and house hunting as well, you know.”
“Now how would I possibly know about that? But I suppose you could be right.”
Any further discussion was interrupted by a knock on the front door. I rose and went to open it. It was Nick and Sammy. “Hi, guys! Come on in,” I said.
Nick and Sammy followed me into our lounging area. Sammy sat down on the couch next to Mel, while Nick and I went over to make drinks.
“Here you go, old boy. I brought you some rum.”
“Great. Thanks very much. You obviously found my stash while you’ve been unloading the remotes.”
“I say, old boy, I find that a bit insulting. At least I’m giving you back some of it.”
“Good on you, mate. So what did you think of the new crew?”
“They seem like a nice enough collection of misfits, I suppose. Something bothers me about Grizzly though. Nothing bad…he just reminds me of someone I once knew, that’s all. Oh and there’s also the fact that he looks like a huge bear.”
“Yeah, I really thought you were a dead man walking when you called him Grizzly Adams,” I said as we walked back to the couch and sat down.The girls had obviously overheard, because Sammy chimed in,
“Yeah, tell me, Nick, have you ever read a book titled How to Win Friends and Influence People? Oh wait, don’t bother answering—the answer is blatantly obvious to everyone in that room.”
“Aw, come on. It just slipped out of my mouth before my brain could stop it. I mean, don’t you all see it? The guy looks like a huge bear!”
“Well, it’s certainly not the first time it’s happened in the time I’ve known you, but I really thought today was going to be your last,” I added.
“I’m sure you would have saved me, Drew.”
“How do you think I was going to prevent a huge bear from tearing you a new one—sorry, I mean asunder? Actually, I mean both.”
“Well, anyway, it didn’t happen. All he did was rough me up a bit.”
“Actually that’s just the way he greets people. He did the same to me when I first met him, and I hadn’t even pissed him off.”
“Well, there you go! He and I are the best of friends. No harm, no foul.”
“Sure, if you say so. I noticed on my way in that you have moved the remotes to a new location.”
Mel interjected, “Uh oh, they’re going to talk pilot stuff now. Should we move into the kitchen and chat, Sammy?”
“By all means yes, let’s,” Sammy replied. The girls then rose and left us to talk shop.
“Don’t say nasty things about me behind my back, will you, dear?” I yelled after Mel.
“Of course not, darling,” was her faint reply.

“She will, you know! So anyway, you moved the remotes?”

No comments:

Post a Comment