Saturday 9 July 2016

JUST A FEW MORE OF THE LAST PAGES FROM 'REACH FOR MARS' TO BE ISSUED ON THIS BLOG :-

“Yeah, there’s an entry to the access tunnel right there, so it saves all that travel time to and from the original location. It also provides easy access to the rest of the landscape so we don’t have to use the goat track anymore.”
“I’m very glad to hear that,” I said.
“I thought you might be. So how did the mission go? Any problems?”
“It was pretty much a milk run on the journey there and back. Although it actually was a little tricky transferring everything and everyone from the ISS to the starship. We couldn’t dock with the station because our ship was of alien design, so I had to try and match the station’s rate of turn and orbit with the starship and try to keep the ropes between them taut for the station’s crew and supplies upload. It was almost a challenge to my pilot skills—but we got it done in the end.”
The girls then rejoined us, so we chatted for a while longer about general things before Nick and Sammy bid us adieu and went home. I had to admit that I was kind of glad when they did; I could barely keep my eyes open. As we stepped onto the first tread of the stairs, I found that I was also glad it was really an escalator as it carried us upward. I doubted I had the strength to climb the stairs unassisted. Mel and I fell onto the bed and immediately fell into a deep and uninterrupted sleep for ten hours. I guess we really were tired.
We awoke and bounded out of bed the next morning, refreshed and full of energy for the day ahead. We had breakfast and went outside and jumped into the buggy. When we arrived at the houses of the new crew on level six, we found Nick and Sammy already there with them. All of us piled into the two buggies and headed off to explore the rest of the city. We didn’t bother showing them any more of the residential districts, as they already had digs, so the tour didn’t quite as  long. We completed the tour by having coffee and conversation in the terminal, which was Nick’s and my favorite meeting place because the windows looked out at the hangar and the spaceships parked there (we were, after all, seasoned pilots at heart).
“You must have felt like all your Christmases had come at once when you stumbled on 

No comments:

Post a Comment