Friday 3 June 2016

JUST A FEW MORE PAGES FROM 'REACH FOR MARS' THEN:-

Back on the starship... with me:
Mel told me later that once the crew had been transferred off the space station, she had led them to the nearest cafeteria and told them they could safely remove their helmets. As they did so she said to them,
“The captain sends his compliments and regrets that he could not be here to greet you himself at this time. He wishes to assure you that he will join us and welcome you aboard once he has safely steered the ship clear of the space station and set the ship on a course back to Mars. Meanwhile, feel free to help yourselves to any food or refreshments you wish and welcome aboard our ship.”
Apparently I entered the room very soon after that, and when I did I walked straight into a huge bear that wrapped its arms around me, hoisted me off the ground, and did a little jig before releasing me and letting me drop to the deck. It then extended its right paw, grabbed my right hand, and spoke in a booming voice from high above:
“You are called Drew, yes?”
“I am called many things and a lot of them are not very nice, but I am mostly called Drew.”
He quickly released my hand and took one pace backward, and then gave me an appraising look as he raised his hands to rest on his hips while he looked me up and down—mostly down; the bloke was a giant. A smile grew very quickly across his hairy countenance as his right paw flew towards me and playfully tapped me on the shoulder (it felt like being hit by a pile driver) then he grabbed my right hand in his viselike grip once more and wrenched it up and down again, which at least kept me upright from the playful tap to my shoulder.
“So, you are Drew!”
“Yes, I am.”
It would take at least a week for my body to recover from his greeting so far. The dark side of my mind was looking forward to introducing him to Nick, however. Once he released my hand and the blood started circulating through it again, I was introduced to the rest of the space station crew. They seemed quite normal compared to their leader, but then, who wouldn’t? Vladimir first introduced his wife, Yelena, to me. She seemed nice and was surprisingly diminutive beside her giant spouse, but then everyone looked diminutive beside Vladimir. Then Vladimir introduced me to Boris and Natasha Strezkeyen. (I kid you not—those were their names! It took all my willpower to keep a straight face.)
Although I didn’t react, they must have read my mind, because Boris said,
“Yes, like the two evil cartoon characters, but we are nowhere near as evil.”
I laughed and warmly shook his hand before Vladimir directed my attention to a Chinese couple, Yogi and May-tee Yee. Instead of shaking my hand, they bowed deeply before me as Yogi spoke.
“We are most honored to meet you, Drew. We are all very thankful to you for risking your lives to save ours.”
Not to be outdone, I bowed deeply right back at them and replied,
“It is our very great pleasure.”
Now that the social niceties had been dispensed with, we each grabbed refreshments, sat down at a table, and began getting to know each other. We chatted amiably for a while about many general topics—our training, our pasts, our roles on our very different missions, and of course the destruction of our home planet. I found all of the ISS crew to be highly intelligent, witty, and very entertaining conversationalists and I was totally enjoying the moment. In the end, it was Boris who steered the conversation back to practical matters. He glanced around the room then looked up at the ceiling, and then he looked at me.
“So, Drew, tell us: where the hell did you get this ship? Mankind sure as hell didn’t build it.”
“We found it parked with four others in the hangar of a deserted city built inside a large mountain on Mars.”
“You found a deserted underground city? Who built it?” Vladimir interjected.
“Martians,” I replied. “At least they were Martians when they built it. They obviously expected to live there a very long time or they wouldn’t have built it on as grand a scale as they did, and maybe they did live there for a very long time; there’s no way of knowing.”
“How big is this city?” Boris asked.
“Your crew and our crew could live on the same level and very rarely would we bump into each other, even if we traveled around a great deal. In total, there are eleven levels,” I replied.
“My God. And it is all functional?” Natasha enquired.
“Yes! Dick and Courtney got the power switched on and the city is fully functional. You don’t need a space suit to move around inside the city. What we’re wearing now is all that is necessary.”
“So, the six of us won’t crowd you out then,” Vladimir said with a smile.
“Six hundred of you wouldn’t crowd us out. We wouldn’t have even had to bring an extra starship.”
“That city is going to feel like a palace for us after the tin can you pulled us out of,” Vladimir responded. He then glanced up and around the room. “In fact, this ship feels like a palace after the tin can you pulled us out of.”

We chatted on for a few more hours and answered many questions about Mars, the city, and how long it would take to get there. By the end of those few hours, I had to admit that I was growing quite fond of them all. I then glanced at my watch and saw what time it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment